Monday, October 27, 2008

Moooonlight


This was another weekly "different strokes" painting challenge posed by Karin Jurick. I have to thank her for helping me break out of my normal routine. My usual "modus operandi" is to replicate a still life set-up or photograph I have taken. Since I knew that 70 or 80 people would be posting similar renditions of her cow, I wanted to try to do something different from Karin's photograph. I knew I wanted to move the horizon to accentuate the cow’s face, and I wanted to alter the composition a bit and change the time of day. The challenge got me thinking about creating a story rather than just painting what I saw. That’s what being an artist is supposed to be all about. Thanks to a workshop I took with Elin Pendleton I knew what colors to use to change the time of day. This was so much fun. I feel I’ve created a “work of art” rather than just reproducing a photograph. I’ve done hundreds of paintings over the past 30 years. I think this may be one of my favorites. This is an 8" x 10" watercolor on Arches 300# cold press paper. Available unframed for $475 on my website http://www.dianemorganpaints.com/

8 comments:

dominique eichi said...

Very nice cow and the background definitively makes this a beautiful piece.

Edward Burton said...

Nice one. I really like what you did with the sky, very eye-catching.

Diane Morgan said...

Thank you Dominique. I like yours, too.

And, thanks to you, too Ed. I'm a fan of your work. I see your pumpkins sold already. Good job.

Nancy Van Blaricom said...

Great cow Diane! Isn't this fun to have no attachment to the subject? I'm lovin' it... as well as seeing everyone rendition.

Diane Morgan said...

No attachment is right. I NEVER would have thought to paint a cow. But, they are adorable! Love their eyelashes.

ellie said...

Excellent Diane! The darker sky really makes the cow show up. I like the contrast.
Ellie

Unknown said...

Diane, your colors make the cow's face pop right out at the viewer. Great job!

Rick Snyder said...

I'm not really into farm animals, but this cow rocks!