Thursday, December 18, 2008

Plein air painting in Uruguay

After saying that I didn't have time to paint on vacation, I realized the only way to have the time is to make the time. So, yesterday I carted my portable watercolor pad and palette to the beach and just got to it. No great masterpieces, but it was fun. I forgot how difficult it is to paint outdoors...to capture shifting light and moving waves, etc. Challenging, but satisfying. This is a one-hour sketch of a cruise ship into Punte del Este for the day. 8" x 10" on Arches cold pressed watercolor block. Two little girls, 5 and 3 came over and watched me paint for quite some time. They were adorable. Can't wait to tackle all the photos I have taken. Flight home leaves tomorrow night at 11 PM. Hate to leave. Back to California on Saturday.

No comments: