Friday, February 6, 2009

Wiegardt Workshop Day Three





At top is my reference photo of Horseshoe Bay Beach, Bermuda. I wanted to do a fun, festive painting showing all the colorful umbrellas and colorful people. I thought each person in the photo was so interesting, each with their own life story to be told. My value study above was done with the thought of using a light blue sky. I was feeling uncertain about this choice, so Eric suggested doing a smaller thumbnail study (upper right) with a different treatment for the sky. Then, choose the one you like best. After looking at both I still couldn't decide. I started painting anyhow, without determining my direction. Big mistake. The sky came out blotchy and unattractive. Eric says....if you're tired or indecisive....step away from the painting! Wait to start til you feel confident. Confidence in brush strokes shows. I was so unhappy with the piece I took it home and hosed it off in the shower. It can still be saved. I will tackle it again later when I'm certain about my color and value choices. Good lesson learned.

8 comments:

Edward Burton said...

Wonderful reference photo! I'm know you'll do a beautiful job with it, Diane!

Diane Morgan said...

Thanks Ed. I appreciate the encouragement.

Dianne said...

A valuable lesson -- certainty vs indecision -- which goes way beyond painting. A friend who sews puts the wrong pieces together or inside out when feeling the same. We all make brush strokes daily and they are not often easily washed away. Good advice for the value of clarity: when to do and when to not. Thanks Diane.. .! Can't wait to see what you decide to do.

Diane Morgan said...

Oh so wonderfully put. Love the "we all make brushstrokes daily and not easily washed away" Wish I'd thought of that! You are a sage.

Blair Goold said...

I commend you on putting up this post. It's all a process and we make mistakes along the way. You're not afraid to hide yours. Thank you--we all learn this way.
BTW your work is wonderfull; I'm glad I found your blog.

tonypetersart said...

Hi Diane, the drawing looks fantastic! Those umbrellas make for a nice composition.

Diane Morgan said...

Thanks Blair, I have no problem showing struggles. As artists we are always learning. Keeps us young, don't you think?

Diane Morgan said...

Hey Tony! bro :-}
I just noticed on your site that you are a California Art Club member. It prompted me to join. Sounds great. Diane Peters Morgan