Thursday, March 24, 2011

Evening Sun



Here's the latest landscape. As you can see I took a little license from the reference photo. It's so much fun to just play and make things up....a little vacation from the very detailed drawings of my watercolors and working so tightly from a reference photo. For this I painted the entire canvas orange first and let it set overnight. I learned in a workshop with Elin Pendleton that a quick color wash before starting an oil eliminates having those annoying white spots showing through if you've not covered the canvas with enough paint. I really wanted the orange to show through as one would want the white to show through on a watercolor. Many of the daily painters do this with their quick studies that are so effective. Also, while the paint was still wet I was able to take a toothpick and a palette knife and scrap off areas to let the orange become an edge or a flower. "Evening Sun" 8 x 10" oil on canvas.

No comments: